Oklahoma native Parker Millsap to perform concert, hold Q&A at the University of Central Oklahoma

• 0
Parker Millsap

Oklahoma native Parker Millsap poses for a photo Feb. 3, 2014.

Rising rock musician Parker Millsap will hold a masterclass, Q&A and concert on May 1 at the University of Central Oklahoma.

Millsap will visit the university May 1 as part of the Academy of Contemporary Music at the University of Central Oklahoma's (ACM@UCO) Metro Music Series, which brings musicians to perform on campus year round, according to the event page

Parker Millsap, a Purcell, Oklahoma, native, is a rising rock 'n' roll artist that made his debut on "Conan" in 2016 and performed with Elton John at the Apple Music Festival in London that same year. Millsap has four full length releases with his newest album released in 2018 titled “Other Arrangements.”

Millsap started a cover band with classmate Michael Rose, who still plays bass with him today. He then recruited musicians Daniel Foulks, fiddle, and Andrew Bones, drums, to join his band, according to his website.

The masterclass will consist of Millsap and Scott Booker, ACM@UCO’s executive director, holding a discussion about how Millsap got started and what he was interested in early — giving advice to any students or the public, said Jimmy Jackson, ACM@UCO’s administrative assistant.

Following the discussion, Booker will open the conversation to the audience for a Q&A, Jackson said.

“I think anyone who wants any insight into what it’s like to be an artist or musician of any kind, or anyone who wants any insight in what it’s like to work in the music industry should come,” Jackson said.

The masterclass and discussion is from 2-3 p.m. May 1 at ACM@UCO main campus at 25 S. Oklahoma Ave., Oklahoma City.

This event is free and open to the public. To RSVP register at the event page.

After his master class, Millsap will perform a sold-out concert at 7 p.m. May 1 at ACM@UCO Performance Lab, 329 E. Sheridan Ave., Oklahoma City.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.