Oklahoma Film Society, local filmmakers to host second annual film anthology event in OKC

• 0
ok film society

Oklahoma Film Society will present Mono Deux, a film anthology by Oklahoma directors, at 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. April 27 at the Banquet Cinema Pub, 800 NW Fourth St., Oklahoma City.

The Oklahoma Film Society and local filmmakers will host the second annual film anthology event, featuring a collection of short films created by Oklahoma directors April 27 in Oklahoma City.

MONO Deux” is an anthology film that weaves together five different short films and is the second film of its kind following the societies’ “MONO” film in 2018. The individual film segments are from various genres but include a common theme that connects them.  

The Oklahoma Film Society is a local organization dedicated to film appreciation that hosts several screenings and events throughout the year, including the annual OKC Horror Fest in October.   

The film features the work of Oklahoma filmmakers Rogelio Almeida MarquezKyle Kauwika Harris, Lloyd Lee Barnett, Jonathan Shahan and Cate Jones.

Alex Palmer, president of the Oklahoma Film Society, said the idea for this film began in 2017 with the film MONO, which was a collaborative effort among several local filmmakers. He said the filmmakers decided to do a local premiere and to give the proceeds to a charity.   

“All the directors came together, and they wanted to not only make art but have a positive impact on the local community,” Palmer said.  

After the success of MONO, the original filmmakers nominated five successors to create the next film, said Cate Jones, one of the creators of MONO Deux.

She said the film is a chance for the filmmakers to showcase their work and is a way to tell stories.

“Storytelling in general is good for people,” Jones said. “I think all art is good for people, but especially storytelling in that people can relate to something.”

MONO Deux will have showings at 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. April 27 at the Banquet Cinema Pub, 800 NW Fourth St., Oklahoma City.

Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the Banquet Cinema Pub’s website. Proceeds from the film will go to End the Backlog, a program dedicated to raising awareness of rape kit backlogs across the country.

Sam Tonkins is an English sophomore and a culture reporter for the OU Daily.