Norman to host 28th annual SoonerCon at new location, feature wider variety of fan opportunities

• 0
soonercon preview (copy)

Attendees from SoonerCon 27 in 2018. SoonerCon 28 will be held June 7-9.

A three-day convention featuring workshops, panels and events related to sci-fi, fantasy, gaming, anime, fandom and pop culture will be held in Norman next weekend.

The 28th annual SoonerCon will take place June 7-9 in Norman’s Embassy Suites Hotel and Convention Center, according to a press release.

The event will feature meet-and-greets, discussion panels and workshops with guest writers, actors, scientists, artists, performers and others, according to the press release. The event will also include gaming sessions, film and anime screenings, original artwork and prints from national artists, live music, costume competitions and other activities.

Amber Hanneken, SoonerCon social media coordinator, said in the release that the convention moved to Embassy Suites this year following growth in its audience and content.

“The expanded convention space has given us the opportunity to offer new activities we simply couldn’t in the past,” Hanneken said in the press release. “This year, you’ll find a wider variety of hands-on crafting, kids programming, esports, tabletop games, unique shopping opportunities, fan meetups and just about everything. We are so excited for our guests to see what’s in store.”

SoonerCon membership fees are $50 online for all three days and $55 at the door or $30 for a single day, according to the press release. Children 12 and under are free with a paid adult membership, and active duty and retired military members receive free entry to the event Friday, June 7.

The event’s featured guest is actor Nana Visitor, according to the press release. Visitor played security chief Major Kira in Star Trek’s “Deep Space Nine.”

According to the press release, the event will also feature literary guest Kevin J. Anderson, author of more than 140 novels, including “Tales of Dune,” “Jedi Search: Volume 1” of “The Jedi Academy Trilogy” and “Clockwork Angels,” a collaboration with Rush drummer Neil Peart.

The event will also feature anime voice actors Austin Tindle and Sarah Wiedenheft, bestselling author Rachel Caine, artist Julie Dillon, rocket scientist Lonnie Johnson, comic artist Matt Frank, Baen Books publisher Toni Weisskopf, Star Trek historian Larry Nemecek and many others, according to the press release.