Norman's 2nd Friday Concert Series to showcase 3 Oklahoma indie rock bands at Opolis

• 0
Mad Honey

Mad Honey will play at Opolis as part of the 2nd Friday Norman Art Walk on April 12.

In anticipation of Norman Music Festival, Oklahoma indie rock bands Mad Honey, Gloom Cruise and Brooding will play at Opolis as part of the 2nd Friday Norman Art Walk on April 12.

The concert is part of the free 2nd Friday Norman Art Walk Concert Series presented by the Norman Arts Council and Norman Music Festival, which provides music for all ages every month at Opolis.

The concert series began in September 2014 and has occurred every month since. Though Opolis is usually an 18 and older venue, they host all-ages shows for special events like the 2nd Friday Norman Art Walk, said Joshua Boydston, event coordinator for the 2nd Friday Concert Series.

“Live music has always existed in some form at 2nd Friday since the art walk began, but the 2nd Friday Concert Series was a way to make a true, dedicated showcase that also acted as a kind of afterparty to all the art walk events,” Boydston said.

The 2nd Friday Concert Series has showcased more than 100 Oklahoma artists, including Helen Kelter Skelter, Sports and Jabee. Boydston said this series has also helped introduce the Norman audience to Texas bands as well, like Holy Wave and Dressy Bessy.

“I really like showcasing tried and true local favorites with the 2nd Friday Concert Series, but I especially love using the platform to introduce audiences to artists who I think will become their new favorites,” Boydston said. “I think that’s really fundamental to the DNA of Norman Music Festival, and it seems right to carry that through with these shows, which I think become a really accessible showcase for music lovers and casual fans alike by being a free show to cap off a monthly community tradition.”

Mad Honey is an alternative, “dream pop” band from Oklahoma City. Comprised of four members, the band has released three singles on Spotify: “Blue & You,” “Cruel to Know” and “Carole’s Slumber Party.”

Accompanying Mad Honey is alternative band Gloom Cruise. This group started as a bedroom lo-fi solo project before developing into a full band with the release of their seven-track album, “Tv Queen,” in 2018.  

Soft rock band Brooding will also join the lineup for the evening with their indie and alternative sounds. Based out of Luther, Oklahoma, this band features Severin Olsen on lead guitar, Lydia Shelton on guitar and keys, Brian Richards on bass and Connor Richards on drums.

“These three acts are some of my very favorite new to the local scene artists that I think play really well as bill together,” Boydston said. “I think all three share a lot of sensibilities with our festival headliner Beach Fossils, so it felt like kind of a fun nod to the sound that will be filling the streets come the last Saturday of the month in downtown Norman.”

Mad Honey with Gloom Cruise and Brooding will play on April 12 at Opolis, 113 N. Crawford Ave. Doors open for food and drinks at 6 p.m., and music begins at 9 p.m.

Mad Honey and Gloom Cruise will both perform at the Opolis Outdoor Stage during Norman Music Festival — Gloom Cruise at 6 p.m. on April 25 and Mad Honey at 3 p.m. on April 27.

Alma Cienski is a modern dance performance and public relations junior and a culture reporter for The Daily.