Norman, Oklahoma City celebrate Lunar New Year with 5 local events

• 0
lunar new year

The Chinese New Year, also known as the Lunar New Year, begins Jan. 25 with festivals and celebrations in Norman and Oklahoma City. 

Chinese New Year, also known as the Lunar New Year, marks the start of the new year on the traditional Chinese calendar. This year marks the Year of the Rat in the Chinese zodiac. The new year begins on Jan. 25.

To mark the occasion, several places around Norman and Oklahoma City will host celebrations.

1. OU AASA’s Asian New Year

OU’s Asian American Student Association will host a Year of the Rat celebration on Jan. 30. There will be a lion dance performed by St. Andrew Dung Lac Lion Dance Association.

There will be food from various Asian restaurants around Norman, according to an email from AASA. There will be a performance from Mr. and Ms. Asian OU 2019. Admission to the event is free. 

The celebration is from 6–8 p.m. Jan. 30 at the Jim Thorpe Multicultural Center.

2. Lunar New Year Lion Dance

St. Andrew Lion Dance Association will perform a New Year Lion Dance show on Jan. 26 at Allure Nails and Spa of Norman. In Chinese culture, lions represent stability, courage and superiority. The lion dance is performed to chase away evil spirits and ghosts, according to Nations Online.

The event will start at 4 p.m. Jan. 26 at 1712 24th Ave. NW.

3. Lunar New Year at Myriad Botanical Gardens

The Confucius Institute at OU and THN Insurance Solutions will sponsor the Lunar New Year celebration on Feb. 1 at the Myriad Botanical Gardens in Oklahoma City. Admission to the event is free. 

Super Cao Nguyen, an international grocery store in Oklahoma City, will present the event, which will feature a martial arts demonstration from Golden Tiger Martial Arts studio, an origami workshop from Malcolm Zachariah, and a lion dance performed by the Hung Viet Lion Dancers. The celebration will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 1 at 301 W. Reno Ave. in Oklahoma City.

4. Lunar New Year at Lavy Nail Lounge

Lavy Nail Lounge will celebrate its one year anniversary and the Lunar New Year on Jan. 25. There will be a traditional dragon dance performance, food and drinks. 

In Chinese culture, dragons symbolize fertility, wisdom and imperial authority. The dragon dance is performed to bring good luck to people, according to Nations Online. 

The festival begins at 9:30 a.m. and the dragon dance will be at 2:30 p.m. Jan. 25 at 11806 S. May Ave. in Oklahoma City.

5. Lunar New Year at Tokyo Moon

Japanese sushi restaurant Tokyo Moon in Oklahoma City will host a lion dance for Lunar New Year on Jan. 25. Free food will be offered to festival-goers. 

Children ages 10 and under will receive traditional red envelopes for good luck. Red envelopes represent wishes for a safe and peaceful year, according to China Highlights. 

The event is at 2 p.m. Jan. 25 at 7001 W. Hefner Road in Oklahoma City.

Note: This article has been updated to reflect the cancellation of the Chinese in Business College Association and Chinese Language Club's new year event on Jan. 28.