National Weather Museum to host fundraising event to promote weather awareness, offer free beer

• 0
national weather museum

The National Weather Museum is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday through Sunday only. Admission is $7 for adults, $5 for seniors, $4 for military and $3 for children ages 3 to 17.

The National Weather Museum will host its second annual fundraising event, "Brewing Up a Storm," which will give guests the opportunity to drink beer while promoting weather education.

Brewing Up a Storm intends to raise awareness of weather safety and general weather awareness in the heart of the Oklahoma storm season, said Ross Forsyth, director of development at the National Weather Museum.

The National Weather Museum, the only museum in the country solely dedicated to weather, often engages with the community by visiting public schools with its mobile museum. Forsyth said the museum has something to offer everyone, like those interested in thermodynamics, math, computer science, farming or air travel.

“There is so much that the weather touches,” Forsyth said. “If nothing else, there are simple weather topics, but there is also this whole subset of thermodynamics. We call it the free classroom, and it touches everyone’s lives. It’s at the heart of everything, and we try to show that at our museum.”

All events at Brewing Up a Storm are accessible through a wristband purchase, including unlimited beer tastings from Stonecloud Brewing Co., 405 Brewing Co., Coop Ale Works, Elk Valley Brewing Company, Lazy Circles Brewing, Canadian River Brewing Co. and Dead Duck Brewing Co.

Wristbands are available for purchase online and are $20 for museum members and $30 for non-members. All ticket purchases assist the museum in preserving weather artifacts, education and showcasing innovations in the world of science, according to its website.

Brewing Up a Storm will start at 4 p.m. and end at 9 p.m. on May 2 at the National Weather Museum, 1200 W. Rock Creek Rd. Local band The Mystery Dates will play a set of rock and pop music from 6-9 p.m.

UPDATE: This story was updated at 2 p.m. April 18 to reflect the correct price of event tickets, and a correct photo for the organization.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.

Alma Cienski is a modern dance performance and public relations junior and a culture reporter for The Daily.