5 local artists raise awareness for city water pollutants during Artful Inlets project

• 0

The Norman Public Arts Board and city of Norman celebrated the first completed Artful Inlets project April 17.

Artful Inlets is a new collaborative project created by five local artists: Derrick Adams, Jazmin Crawford, Ginna Dowling, Laura Nelson and Rachel Stout. The artists painted murals around storm drains and turned them into art to raise awareness for the effect pollutants have on the local water supply.

Norman Mayor Lynne Miller joined Norman Arts Council members on April 17 for a walkthrough of murals painted on the sidewalks of Main Street. These murals are the first of Norman’s Artful Inlets that the city hopes to continue, according to a Facebook post.

Each of the five artists were selected to paint a mural to educate and raise awareness of pollutants such as oil, grease and trash that go down storm drains and have a devastating impact on our local water quality, making it unsafe for drinking, according to the Art Walk’s website.

The murals are as follows:

• “Cumulonim-bliss” by Stout located in front of Moxie Shop, near Porter Avenue and Main Street’s intersection.

• “Choose Wisely” by Nelson located in front of Main Street Tattoos, near Porter Avenue and Main Street’s intersection.

• “Every Drop Counts” by Adams located in front of Sea Shanty Adventure Tours, in between Jones and Peters avenues on Main Street.

• “Runoff Pollutes” by Dowling located in front of Mister Robert, near Jones Avenue and Main Street’s intersection.

• “Do Somethin!” by Crawford located in front of Benvenuti’s at James Garner Avenue and Main Street’s intersection.

“I think that the project itself is extremely important,” Dowling said. “(The images in the mural) literally tell the story of how runoff pollutes ... With these images, I have the rain, the water flowing, the children and the animals.”

Dowling said the community needs to start being socially conscious and pay attention to pollutants allowed in the streets because it goes into the community’s water system.

“I would like to start a dialogue about our water system here in the city of Norman. I would like to make people stop and think about what is happening,” Dowling said. “The project resonates hope and was a great opportunity to give back."

The Artful Inlets can be found on Main Street between Jenkins and Porter avenues.