LatinARTe to host its 2nd annual exhibition showcasing art from Latinx students

• 0
Latin Arte

LatinArte, a student organization at OU, hopes to use its platform to change the perception of Latinx art.

LatinARTe will host its second annual art exhibition showcasing art from Latinx students on April 26.

The event, “Borderless,” will feature art from eight Latin American artists. LatinARTe began last year by a dramaturgy student from Tijuana, Mexico, said Eduardo Campbell, a member of LatinARTe and international studies junior from Panama.

“Basically LatinARTe is a student organization by Latinx students with aim to promote and show Latin American art,” Campbell said. “It can be visual art, it can be music, it can be poetry. Anything that involves art.”

Campbell said that LatinARTe members believed that it was important to talk about the rhetoric of borders, particularly in this area of the United States.

“It’s a way to maybe reach a better understanding and another perspective of (how) Latinx communities are usually portrayed in media, but also it’s breaking up this concept of borders that’s usually criminalizing a specific group, race, or ethnicity,” Campbell said.

LatinARTe is open to new members, who can join by contacting the executive team or visiting the organization’s OrgSync page, Campbell said.

The event is free and will have snacks. It will be from 6:30-8:30 p.m. April 26 in the Think Tank Room of the Oklahoma Memorial Union, formerly the IT Store.