John Stamos to join the Beach Boys at OKC charity concert in May

• 0
Beach Boys Stamos

The Beach Boys with John Stamos will perform a charity concert May 4 at Oklahoma City Civic Center Music Hall.

Actor John Stamos will visit Oklahoma City for the first time to join the Beach Boys for a charity concert on May 4.

The concert will benefit the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma’s “Food For Kids” programs, which aims to end childhood hunger in Oklahoma, and the Oklahoma Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, which offers patient support as well as community-based education programs. For every $100 raised from this concert, the “Food for Kids” program will support a child for a full year, according to the Food Bank’s website.

“In order to thrive, children need access to nutritious food and that’s what we provide through the Food for Kids Programs,” said Katie Fitzgerald, chief executive officer of the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma, in an interview with Fox 25. “We are so thankful for The Beach Boys and their devoted fans for joining us in the fight against childhood hunger.”

Famous for his role as Uncle Jesse in Full House, Stamos is an accomplished actor as well as a talented musician, often playing guitar on various episodes of the show. Stamos, who plays drums, piano, guitar, bass and conga drums, has played off and on with the Beach Boys for decades, including guest appearances from the band on Full House.

The Beach Boys have embodied the California surf rock sound since their debut in 1961. The group today is led by original member Mike Love and Bruce Johnston, along with Jeffrey Foskett, Tim Bonhomme, John Cowsill, Keith Hubacher, Christian Love and Scott Totten. They play an average of 150 shows a year.

Guest starring with the Beach Boys will be Dean Torrence of Jan and Dean. Sharing the surf rock sound with the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean pioneered the genre with chart-toppers like “Surf City” and “Dead Man’s Curve.”

The charity concert will start at 7 p.m. on May 4 at the Civic Center Music Hall, 201 N. Walker Ave.

Tickets range from $60 to $90 and are available online, by phone at 405-594-8300 or in person at the box office. A pre-show meet and greet option is available, as well as VIP packages. With every ticket purchased, attendees will receive a digital copy of Mike Love’s latest solo album, “Unleash The Love.”

Update: This story was updated at 8:37 a.m. April 5 to reflect the cost of tickets.

Alma Cienski is a modern dance performance and public relations junior and a culture reporter for The Daily.