Holocaust survivor's art exhibition comes to close at Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art

• 0
Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art (copy)

Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art on Nov. 5, 2018. 

As the semester comes to a close, so does the David Friedman exhibition at the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art, which is in its final weeks.

"Testimony: The Life and Work of David Friedman" showcases the work of Friedman, a survivor of the Holocaust. The exhibition celebrates the entirety of his career, from his journalistic sketches before the war to his portraits from the Holocaust.

His series “Because They Were Jews!” focuses on his time spent in the Auschwitz concentration camp. Kaylee Kain, the museum's director of communication, said drawing scenes from the camp was therapeutic for Friedman in a way.     

“He couldn’t stop thinking about it, and he was overcome with all these images in his head of all the things he had witnessed and seen,” Kain said. “I think he really just needed to get that on paper to be able to come to terms with it.”

Kain said Friedman’s work is very relevant to the current political atmosphere in Norman, especially with the anti-Semitic graffiti earlier in April.

“It’s extremely on topic with what’s going on politically and socially in Norman right now,” Kain said. "It only gives another side to the story of what religious oppression looks like. You are really confronted with that through the series.”

"Testimony: The Life and Work of David Friedman" is currently open and will run until May 26.

Sam Tonkins is an English sophomore and a culture reporter for the OU Daily.