'Hamilton' to come to OKC in summer, features OU alumni

• 0
Hamilton poster

The show poster for "Hamilton: An American Musical." Dorcas Leung, an OU alumna, will have a role in the touring production of the popular musical.

The “ten dollar Founding Father without a father” will come to Oklahoma City this summer with the national broadway tour of “Hamilton: An American Musical,” from July 30 to Aug. 18.

Featured in the national tour is OU Musical Theatre 2015 alumna Dorcas Leung, performing in the ensemble and covering for the characters of the three Schuyler sisters. Andy Tofa, a 2015 musical theatre graduate, will also perform in the OKC show in the ensemble.

Written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, composer of the Tony Award winning broadway musical “In the Heights” and Disney movie “Moana,” “Hamilton” is based on Ron Chernow’s biography “Alexander Hamilton” and blends rap, hip-hop, R&B, blues and jazz in a story of America’s past from a modern perspective. Chernow assisted Miranda when he wrote the script, checking every line for accuracy, according to Smithsonian Magazine.

“The fun for me in collaboration is, one, working with other people just makes you smarter, that’s proven,” said Miranda in an interview with Smithsonian Magazine in 2015. “We elevate each other. And two, it’s enormously gratifying because you can build things so much bigger than yourself.”

Premiering in January 2015 at the Public Theater in New York City, “Hamilton” gained a more progressive audience with its use of contemporary music and intentional multi-racial casting in a historically white story. The show began claiming fans all across America, even those who had not yet seen the show in New York but had listened to the soundtrack.

Miranda’s production moved in July 2015 to the Richard Rodgers Theatre, which also housed his production of “In the Heights” in 2008.

At the 2016 Tony Awards, “Hamilton” scored a total of 11 wins after 16 nominations, including best score and best musical. “Hamilton” broke a record for most nominations, and after "The Producers’" 12 Tony’s in 2001, is the most decorated show on Broadway.

The modern musical has not only made a name for itself in the musical theater world but also in the political administration. After discussion in the Department of Treasury about changing the face of the $10 bill, Secretary Treasurer Jacob J. Lew took note of the popularity “Hamilton” was accumulating.

Secretary Lew met with Miranda to thank him for his telling of Hamilton’s incredible story and popularization of American history and confirmed the department would commit to keep Hamilton on the bill.

Fans of musical theater, American history or pop culture will find common ground in "Hamilton" which runs from July 30 to Aug. 18 in the Civic Center Music Hall in Oklahoma City.

Tickets have not yet been made available to the public but will be made available six to eight weeks before opening, according to the Civic Center box office. This musical runs at two and a half hours and is recommended for ages 12 and up.

Update: This article was updated at 3:35 p.m. Jan. 30 to show Andy Tofa, a 2015 School of Musical Theatre graduate, is also performing in the show.

Alma Cienski is a modern dance performance and public relations junior and a culture reporter for The Daily.