Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art to open new exhibition in June

• 0
Newport patriots painting

Image of Joan M. LaRue's 2007 oil on canvas painting "Newport Patriots," from the collection of Ann Larson. The painting will be on exhibit at Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art June 6. 

Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art will open its summer exhibition June 6.

"Between the Isms" will feature recent paintings from the Oklahoma Society of Impressionists, as well as selected expressionist paintings by Oklahoman artists, according to a press release. 

The exhibition will open with a reception and panel talk with a few of the artists June 6 at 7 p.m. 

The Oklahoma Society of Impressionists is an organization made up of Oklahoma impressionist artists that formed at a workshop in 1987 in Taos, New Mexico.

The exhibition will feature a "fresh perspective" and an array of Oklahoma artists painting styles, according to the release. 

"I think students will enjoy this exhibition, because it features paintings depicting scenic/tourist spots from around the state that they will be able to recognize," said Kaylee Kain, museum director of communication in an email. "'Between the Isms' depicts the creative spirit of Oklahomans at its very best."

The exhibition has partnered with KOCO to provide a contest for two members of the public to win a piece of artwork by Beth Hammack or Joy Youngblood, two featured contemporary artists. 

In order to enter the contest, participants are asked to fill out a form on KOCO's website. Winners will be announced at the exhibition reception following the panel talk. 

The reception will provide complimentary food and drinks. The reception and exhibition are free and open to the public. 

The exhibition will open June 6 at 7 p.m. and will run until Sept. 8. 

UPDATE: This story was updated at 11:54 a.m. May 10 to reflect a quote from Kaylee Kain.

Assistant culture editor

Abigail Hall is a journalism junior and assistant culture editor at The Daily. She previously worked as an arts & entertainment reporter.