Four Sooner Theatre shows premiering in Norman this year

• 0
Sooner Theatre

Sooner Theatre located on Main Street.

The Sooner Theatre has announced the four shows that will premiere during their community theatre season during the first half of the year.

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Jr.," Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre, "Anything Goes" and "Nunsense" are the four shows that will be put on by community members in the Norman area.

The shows are performed by high schoolers, adults in the community and elementary through middle school aged students.

“There is not a show this year that I don’t think would thoroughly charm everybody who goes and sees it,” said Nancy Coggins, Sooner Theatre public relations and development director. “I’m really excited because there’s some really great well-known shows coming up but there are also some that are kind of gems that you might not have thought of as a show.”

Here is a rundown of the four Sooner Theatre shows that will premiere in Norman through the spring.

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Jr." - Feb. 1-3

This musical, based on the 1968 "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" movie, takes audiences to a world like none other, where an inventor restores an old race car that has the ability to fly and float on water. The music and lyrics come from Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman.

The entire cast is made up of third through seventh graders. This musical appeals to people of all ages, so families of all types are welcome.

Tickets cost $15. They are available to be purchased at the Sooner Theatre’s website.

Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre - Feb. 14-16

The annual Musical Murder Mystery Dinner show is an adult-only show (18+) that takes place during the chaos of New Year’s Eve in 1999. Someone gets murdered before midnight even strikes. The audience must decide who the mysterious murderer is.

All proceeds to the event go towards The Sooner Theatre.

Tickets cost $75 per adult and $750 for a 10 person table. Tickets can be purchased at The Sooner Theatre or by calling The Sooner Theatre (405-321-9600).

"Anything Goes" - March 8-10

"Anything Goes" is a classical, song and dance show that involves tap dancing and a love triangle. The story follows Billy Crocker as he boards the S.S. American to follow the girl of his dreams, Hope Harcourt. High school students from around the Norman area are set to perform in this show.

Tickets cost $15 and will go on sale to the public beginning Feb. 5. They will be available to purchase at the Sooner Theatre’s website.

"Nunsense" - June 6-9

"Nunsense," being the only show of the four that was not on Broadway, follows the story of when the Little Sisters of Hoboken find out that their cook mistakenly poisons 52 sisters. The Little Sisters of Hoboken cannot pay for the burials, so they must put on a variety show to raise the funds. The musical is written by Dan Coggin.

Tickets cost $20. They are available to purchase at the Sooner Theatre’s website.