Coriander Cafe closes after 9 years on Campus Corner

• 0

Campus Corner's multi-cuisine, Vietnamese restaurant has officially closed its doors.

On April 29, Coriander Cafe announced on Facebook it is no longer able to continue operating.

J. Zane Edwards, managing member of the cafe, said the restaurant is closing due to financial pressure.

"The restaurant industry is incredibly difficult, margins are extremely tight and the support we got didn't make things work financially," Edwards said. "We did get a lot of local support — people were kind to us and came in and bought and bought, but the market is difficult. This area has become more difficult as time's gone on."

The business even switched its hours to 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 25, but Edwards said the new time helped the cafe for a while.

Edwards purchased the business in June 2017, but Coriander Cafe has had its location since 2010.

Edwards said he made the purchase because of the quality of the product and the people he got to work with, like chefs Jeremiah and Brandi Caldwell.

"That was the best part of this whole thing was getting to work with them," Edwards said.

He said Coriander closing is a blow to the community.

"We've built a lot of relationships out of this place, and it's unfortunate it's coming to an end," Edwards said. 

Edwards said he plans on putting something else in Coriander's current location, but is not yet ready to announce it.

Coriander Cafe is located at 323 White St. on Campus Corner.

Siandhara Bonnet is a journalism senior and The Daily's Culture editor.