Buddhist monk to give talks on Buddhist practices, Tibetan culture

• 0
Geshe Lobsang Tsultrim

The Norman Cultural Connection will host Geshe Lobsang Tsultrim, a Tibetan Buddhist monk from a monastery in India, who will give five talks about Tibetan and Buddhist culture, May 1-5 at Norman Cultural Connection, 1017 Elm Ave.

Norman Cultural Connection will host a five-day event in May featuring talks from a Buddhist philosophy expert on Tibetan culture, Buddhist practices and art.

Geshe Lobsang Tsultrim is part of the Gaden Shartse Monastery in south India and will give five talks to the Norman community May 1-5.

Tsultrim’s  title, “Geshe,” is the monastic equivalent of a doctorate's degree. The five talks he will give are “The Care of Sacred Objects,” “Tibetan Culture and Buddhism,” “The Four Noble Truths,” “The Difference Between Love and Attachment” and “The Many Deities of Mahayana Buddhism,” according to a press release.

“This is the first time for Geshe Tsultrim to come to Norman, so we’re really looking forward to hosting him,” said Marial Martyn, executive director of Norman Cultural Connection.

Norman Cultural Connection is an organization that strives to enhance "awareness, understanding, and appreciation of cultural diversity, social differences, and the wisdom of world cultures," according to its website.

In addition to his talks, Tsultrim will also instruct on how to create mandalas and give private Tibetan astrological consultations, according to the press release.

Martyn said that Norman Cultural Connection has hosted several sand mandala painting events over the years, but this is the first time it will have a master artist to show how to construct them.

“I think people are just very interested in mandalas in general, and to learn from a master teacher — about how to construct the lines and what they mean, where colors go and why — gives people a deeper meaning and understanding of a mandala,” Martyn said.

Tsultrim grew up in India and attended a monastic university as a Tibetan refugee, but is now a U.S. citizen and teaches all over the country, as well as in Europe and Mexico, Martyn said.

Norman Cultural Connection uses outreach such as educational programs and lectures to help people understand and appreciate cultural diversity and social differences, according to its website.

The talks will be from May 1-5 at 7:00 p.m. each night at Norman Cultural Connection, 1017 Elm Ave. A $10 donation is suggested, but no one will be turned away if they lack funds, according to the press release.

Those interested in scheduling an astrological consultation appointment should contact Marial Martyn at 405-201-9991.