April events celebrate Asian Pacific Islander Desi American Heritage month, showcase students' cultures

• 0
Asian American Programs and Services

OU Asian American Programs and Services will celebrate Asian Pacific Islander Desi American Heritage month with the Asian American Student Organization and Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers April 2019. 

The OU Office of Asian American Programs and Services (AAPS) will host several events throughout April in order to celebrate Asian Pacific Islander Desi American Heritage month.

AAPS is an office of OU Student Life that supports Asian American and Pacific Islander students throughout their time at OU. It includes organizations such as the Asian American Student Association and the Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers.

Here’s a few highlights of upcoming campus events celebrating Asian Pacific Islander Desi American Heritage month:

• Ten OU students will compete in the Mr. & Miss Asian OU Scholarship Pageant.

The event will be from 7-9 p.m. on April 11 in Meacham Auditorium. Tickets can be purchased in advance from AASA booths for $5, or at the door for $5 for AASA member and $8 for non-AASA members.

• The Indian Student Association will host Tamasha, a night of celebration that will showcase a variety of Indian culture through music and dance. After the performance, there will be an Indian dinner in the Thurman J. White Forum building.   

The event will be from 6:30-10 p.m. on April 20 in the Reynolds Performing Arts Center. Tickets are $10 per person or $7 per person in a group of five or more people and can be purchased at the door.

• The 12th annual InvASIAN will showcase several talented Asian American artists and performers as they feature their art, including dance, music, fashion and photography.

The event will be from 6:30-10 p.m. on April 24 in Meacham Auditorium. It is free and open to the public.

In addition to the showcase, there will also be a dance workshop from 8:30-10 p.m. on April 25 at Sarkey’s Fitness Center. It costs $20 to register online.

More information about events can be found on the AAPS Facebook page

Sam Tonkins is an English sophomore and a culture reporter for the OU Daily.