Norman City Councilmember Alex Scott wins state primary for 15th District, will face Sen. Rob Standridge

• 0
Alex Scott (copy)

Alex Scott, an OU graduate, won the Norman incumbent Ward 8 city council election in July 2018. Scott won her primary against Matt Hecox on June 30, 2020 and will face Sen. Rob Standridge in the general election.

A former Norman Councilmember won the State District 15 Democratic Senate race in Tuesday’s Oklahoma Primary Election.

Alex Scott, an OU alumna and representative of Norman Ward 8 since 2018, defeated opponent Matt Hecox by over 20 percent of the vote and won the Democratic nomination for the state senate seat. Scott rode a large absentee ballot lead to victory and will face fellow Norman resident and incumbent Sen. Rob Standridge in the Nov. 3 general election.

“To see my name as the candidate going forward meant a lot (to me),” Scott told the OU Daily Wednesday. “We’ve been working really hard and it meant that it paid off, and that other people have seen our work, and that they believe in it and they want us to keep working.”

Scott has been in the news often recently thanks to a number of events, including her departure from the Norman city council for the election. Her proposal to defund $4.5 million from the Norman police also grabbed headlines, as did her protest-related arrest in Tulsa on June 20. 

In April, Scott told The OU Daily she is emphasizing tax reform and environmental conservation, as well as school and healthcare improvements. Scott was the youngest Norman City Council member ever elected and was a Moore Public Schools teacher prior to her political involvement.

Scott told The Daily she had to wait tables and knock doors during her time as a teacher to earn more money, a result of what she says is a misappropriation of public tax dollars.

“My goal is to ultimately change the way that things have been,” Scott said. “My goal is to re-prioritize where our tax dollars are going and make sure that they're going to the services that serve the most people as well as protect them.”

Despite her victory in the Democratic race on Tuesday, Scott said the work is not finished, and she is still looking to sway Republican voters ahead of the general election. As Nov. 3 nears, Scott said she’s emphasizing relationship-building as she continues to advocate for change to “the Oklahoma standard.”

“There's a lot of trust that was left to be built there and I'm here for that,” Scott said. “I think that on both sides of the aisle, the people that I've talked to, they're ready for something different and I think that my team brings to the table for sure."

Editor's note: This article was edited at 9:50 a.m. July 1 to include comments from councilmember Scott.