While Sooners were anxiously waiting to hear whether campus would be closed because of winter weather Sunday evening, this tweet began circulating social media:

Our online editor saw the tweet and was rushed to get the information out on social media before verifying that an actual alert had been sent - or that the tweet wasn't eight months old.

We deleted the tweet and posted a correction less than a minute after the original tweet was sent. But needless to say, it was enough to disappoint a lot of people when they found out that campus had not actually been closed.

We do apologize to everyone who got their hopes up as a result of our sloppy and rushed reporting, and we hope it serves as some consolation to know that this has served as an important lesson and reminder for us to not rush to get the news out before carefully verifying the information.

And if you want to just channel your anger about school not being closed tomorrow toward us, we fully accept that burden.

(1) comment

devastated

Some people like to use social media for getting special news and explanation about that but I use it for the promotion of my dissertationgurus. We know that there are some people who negative use of social that callused cyber crime but they are in the reach of police that is very good.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.