OU to host world premiere of play about Galileo's trial

• 0
Galileo's Torch

The Helmerich School of Drama, the College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences and University Libraries present the world premiere of "Galileo's Torch," a play by James Reston Jr. The play will take place at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 3 and Feb.4 in the Weitzenhoffer Theatre in the Fine Arts Center. 

The Helmerich School of Drama in association with The College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences and the University of Oklahoma Libraries will perform the world premiere of James Reston Jr.'s play, "Galileo's Torch" tomorrow. 

Performances will be held at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 3 and Feb. 4 at the Weitzenhoffer Theatre located in the Fine Arts Center. 

Reston's Play is based on his 1994 biography of Galileo, which illuminates the Renaissance mathematician's contributions to the understanding of mechanics, optics, astronomy and physics, according to a press release.

The play takes place in the 17th century when Galileo Galilei was put on trial by the Catholic church for putting forth findings that the earth orbited the sun. The lead roles in the play include Galileo, Pope Urban VIII and Cardinal Bellarmine. The OU cast is comprised of 10 actors, according to a release. 

A panel discussion will follow the performance on Feb. 4, involving Steven Livesey, the Brian E. and Sandra O'Brien presidential professor of the history of science, Jane Wickersham, associate professor of history, and James Reston Jr. The discussion will be moderated by Kae Koger, associate professor of drama and dramaturg for "Galileo's Torch."

Admission to the play is free, but tickets are required. To receive tickets for the play, call or visit the OU Fine Arts Box Office on campus at 405-325-4104

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.