OU schools of music, dance to present 'Sacra/Profana' as part of Sutton Concert Series

• 0
Catlett Music Center(copy)

Catlett Music Center. The OU schools of music will present a concert honoring the traditional music of the six nations of a Native American confederacy on March 7.

The OU School of Music will present the concert “Sacra/Profana: Works by Igor Stravinsky” on Sunday, April 29 as part of its Sutton Concert Series.

“Sacra/Profana” will be a night full of performances by the School of Music and the School of Dance. The event will also be part of the Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts' weeklong art celebration honoring OU President David L. Boren and first lady Molly Shi Boren.

Two of Stravinsky’s major works, “Les Noces” and “Symphony of Psalms,” will be performed by OU music groups including OU University Chorale, Women’s Chorus and Men’s Glee Club. The Oklahoma Festival Ballet and the Norman Philharmonic will also perform.

“I think it’s kind of interesting to perform a whole concert of music by the same composer,” said David Howard, associate director of choral ativities and conductor of the concert. “It gives you a kind of a really cool understanding of that person and their writing.”

The concert will start at 8 p.m. April 29 in the Paul F. Sharp Concert Hall. Advanced tickets can be purchased by calling the fine arts box office at 405-325-4101. Tickets are $9 for adults and $5 for students, faculty and staff. Tickets can also be purchased at the door for $10.