Oklahoma artists to hold open printmaking workshop in OKC

Artspace at Untitled

Artist Sarah Atlee will give a talk at the [Artspace] at Untitled 4 p.m. March 25. Atlee makes quilts that reflect the historic deep deuce neighborhood in OKC.

Attendees of an image transfer workshop in Oklahoma City will walk in with a digital file and leave with a 15-by-22-inch original piece of art.

Local printmaking artists Kjelshus Collins and Adrienne Day will lead the Jan. 20 workshop in Artspace At Untitled.

According to the website, those in attendance will learn how to transfer toner images onto printmaking paper to create unique collages.

“Really, it’s about education,” said Alexa Healey, Artspace education director and OU alumna. “We are wanting to create an environment that stimulates that creative thought and new ideas through contemporary art.”

Modern image transfer, or printmaking, stems from an ancient process developed by cave people and is traditionally done by hand. As time went on, the art developed into woodcutting, printing on textiles and cloth and eventually onto paper, according to Encyclopaedia Britannica.

“We try to offer these workshops twice a month,” Healey said. “It’s a really fun environment.”

Artspace has its own professional printmaking studio, which is open to those who purchase a membership to the studio.

The workshop is $45 per person, which can be paid online or at the studio. Those who plan to attend must be at least 14 years of age. The workshop will be 1–4 p.m. Jan. 20 at Artspace, located at 1 NE 3rd St. in Oklahoma City. For more information, visit  the art center's website.