OKC arts center to begin 'Women in Performance' series with play about Mozart's sister

• 0
Sylvia Milo

Sylvia Milo in "The Other Mozart." Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center will show the one-woman play on March 2 and 3 in Oklahoma City.

The Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center in Oklahoma City will kick off its “Women in Performance” series with the play “The Other Mozart.”

“The Other Mozart” tells the forgotten story of Nannerl Mozart, the lesser-known but equally talented sister of the famous composer Wolfgang Mozart, according to a press release. The series aims to showcase the work of women forgotten in history.

Jeremiah Davis, artistic director at the Oklahoma Contemporary, said the play uses letters written by various members of the Mozart family to piece together the life of Nannerl Mozart.

“‘The Other Mozart’ explores the relationship between Mozart and his sister and the larger idea of women being written out of history when they actually had major contributions to global events going back to the beginning of time,” Davis said.

The one-woman play is written and performed by Sylvia Milo and features an 18-foot-long dress that covers most of the stage.

“The Other Mozart” will be performed at 8 p.m. on March 2 and 3 at the Oklahoma Contemporary. Tickets are available through Oklahoma Contemporary's website. General admission tickets are $25, and tickets for seniors, students and veterans are $18.

Sam Tonkins is an English sophomore and a culture reporter for the OU Daily.