Local theater group to premiere original musical 'Spots and Stripes' in Norman

• 0
stars & stripes

A poster for "Spots and Stripes." The original musical will premiere on March 27 at Longfellow Middle School.

An original musical about prejudice and reconciliation, “Spots and Stripes,” will premiere this month in Norman. A local theater organization, the Namron Players, is producing the show.

“Spots and Stripes” is the story of two rival cities divided by their choice of emblem. One chooses spots  the other, stripes. As their conflict intensifies, each city produces a champion who must overcome some differences to prevent imminent war between the cities.

Local musicians Gregg Standridge and Brian Eads collaborated on the show’s music and script, based on an idea for a children’s book Standridge had with his wife, Becky. Their goal with the story is to show that prejudice is a learned trait.

OU communications professor Pat Meirick, who plays King Zutan in the musical, said the show is valuable because of its themes and its local connections.

“It’s a world premiere of a new musical work by folks right here in Norman, written right here in Norman, so that’s exciting,” Meirick said. “I think there’s some beautiful music and a beautiful message. There’s plenty to like.”

“Spots and Stripes” will be performed at 7 p.m. March 29 through 31, with an additional matinee performance at 2 p.m. March 31. All performances will be held at Longfellow Middle School, located on 215 N. Ponca Ave. in Norman. Tickets for the show are $10 for all ages and will be available for cash at the door or in advance by emailing spotsandstripesmusical@gmail.com.

Correction: This article was corrected at 2:58 p.m. March 13 to reflect the correct performance dates for "Spots and Stripes."